Last month, the Republic of Congo’s new forest law came into effect. By ensuring more sustainable management of the country’s vast rainforests, it marks a big step forward in regulating and protecting climate-critical forests.
ClientEarth interviewed our colleague in Liberia to find out more about her gender rights and forest protection work. We collaborate with her to run gender training and workshops as part of the legal working groups, which seek to involve women in forest governance, and in doing so, ensure the community and forests can prosper harmoniously.
On 1 July, China’s newly amended forest law came into effect, marking the first revision of the law in over twenty years. The law comes with a number of significant improvements, aiming to better protect China’s forest resources and promote sustainable development.
In a briefing, ClientEarth and Global Witness are calling on the UK to adopt mandatory due diligence laws to tackle its environmental footprint overseas, address associated human rights violations, and stop the flow of money leading to deforestation.
This issue of the EUTR News provides an update on the operation of the EU’s law to address illegal logging, from March to May 2020.
“Our work has started a shift; where legal arguments previously ended conversations, now our partners in Ghana call themselves ‘pocket lawyers’ and engage more confidently in discussions to make
stronger forest laws.”
- EUTR Newsletter – March to May 2020 in Chinese (欧盟木材法规（EUTR）新闻——2020年 3月至5月
- Actualités du RBUE – mars à mai 2020
- EUTR News March – May 2020 in Spanish (Noticias EUTR: marzo – mayo 2020)
- EUTR News – March to May 2020
- Strengthening Corporate Responsibility: The case for mandatory due diligence to tackle the UK’s global deforestation footprint
- Briefing paper – Natura 2000 Sites Fagaras and Maramures and Domogled
- Briefing paper – complaint to the European Commission re. illegal logging in Romanian forests
- Actualités du RBUE – mars 2019 à mars 2020
- Noticias EUTR: marzo 2019 – marzo 2020
- Comment la REDD+ peut-elle contribuer à promouvoir et soutenir les garanties sociales dans les législations nationales ?
- EUTR News – March 2019 to March 2020
- Actualités du RBUE – octobre à décembre 2019