Inquiry opened over EU failure to consider environmental and social impacts of South American trade deal
Following our complaint, the European Ombudsman has launched an inquiry into the EU Commission’s trade agreement with the ‘Mercosur’ group of South American countries. This includes our claims that the Commission failed to seriously consider the deal’s environmental, social, and human rights impact.
Find out more about the latest case-law on access to justice and sign up to our webinar!
Court of Justice ensures standing for individuals to challenge breaches of the Water Framework Directive
A number of individuals in Germany sought to challenge a decision to authorise the construction of a new motorway which allowed the developer to discharge rainwater from the road’s surface into three bodies of surface water or into groundwater.
The latest Commission infringement package brings some good news for access to justice.
In early March, just before the onset of the current COVID 19 crisis, the European Commission presented its proposal for a European Climate Law, a flagship initiative under the Green Deal.
“Working at ClientEarth allows me to practise as a lawyer and fight for a cause I believe in at the same time. Ensuring the correct implementation of the Aarhus Convention not only leads to a better protection of the environment and public health but also brings democracy in providing the public with rights that make them part of the decision-making process and in turn make our decision-makers accountable. Aarhus is about enabling the people to make the future their own.”
- Accès à la justice – contexte de la qualité de l’air
- EU Ombudsman’s decision on the transparency of the Council’s decision-making process in setting fishing quotas
- ClientEarth and IISD joint letter on the modernisation of the Energy Charter Treaty
- Legal briefing on the Commission’s draft proposal for the Energy Charter Treaty modernization
- CE Approaches to Precaution
- ClientEarth, Fern and Conservation International, Joint Reply to the Draft Interim Report of the Sustainability Impact Assessment of the EU-Mercosur Trade Agreement, October 30, 2019.
- ClientEarth letter and analysis regarding UNIPER ISDS threat
- Background paper analysing the Study and Report submitted by the Commission to the Council in relation to Council Decision (EU) 2018/881
- Case law on Access to justice rights
- ClientEarth answer to the public consultation on Access to Justice
- Comments on the Rapporteur’s Draft Report on the Proposal for Directive on representative actions for the protection of the collective interests of consumers