Read about our new legal guide to protecting the environment, rivers given legal rights and other important updates from Spain and Hungary.
The European Commission is organising a public consultation on how the EU should implement the access to justice provisions of the Aarhus Convention.
Two judgments handed down by the Hungarian Supreme Court (Kúria) in February will affect environmental cases going forward.
On 30 January 2019, the High Court of Bangladesh recognized the river Turag as a living entity with legal rights and held that the same would apply to all rivers in Bangladesh. This monumental decision is the latest example of a trend towards according rights to nature.
ClientEarth lawyers call on the UK to take access to justice seriously after a damning United Nations report outlines the UK’s failure to comply with its international legal obligations in allowing the public to bring legal cases to protect the environment.
“Working at ClientEarth allows me to practise as a lawyer and fight for a cause I believe in at the same time. Ensuring the correct implementation of the Aarhus Convention not only leads to a better protection of the environment and public health but also brings democracy in providing the public with rights that make them part of the decision-making process and in turn make our decision-makers accountable. Aarhus is about enabling the people to make the future their own.”
- Case law on Access to justice rights
- ClientEarth answer to the public consultation on Access to Justice
- Comments on the Rapporteur’s Draft Report on the Proposal for Directive on representative actions for the protection of the collective interests of consumers
- Programme du colloque 50 ans de contentieux de l’environnement, apport du mouvement associatif
- MEPs called upon to ensure availability of collective redress to members of the public harmed by breaches of EU law
- Seven Industry claims on collective redress and why they are false or misleading
- FCA Complaint – Admiral Group plc
- FCA Complaint – Phoenix Group Holdings
- FCA Complaint – Lancashire Holdings limited
- Environmental principles in UK law after Brexit
- EUTR news from March to May 2018 in French (Actualités du RBUE – mars à mai 2018)