Webinar 10 “Access to Justice and the Preliminary Reference Procedure”
This webinar focuses on the important role that the preliminary reference procedure (Article 267 TFEU) plays within the EU legal framework on access to justice.
- Anne Friel, Environmental Democracy lead, ClientEarth
- Leonor Caldeira, EU Litigation Lawyer, ClientEarth
- Fred Logue, Principal, FP Logue Solicitors
Introduction :the role of the preliminary reference procedure in “access to justice”
- Enforcing the Aarhus Convention in Member States in the absence of a directive on access to justice;
- Challenging acts of the EU institutions: validity references
Presentation 1: The preliminary references procedure – What it is and how it works?
- The EU legal framework: Article 267 TFEU and relevant case law
- The role of national courts
- CJEU reference judgements and their legal value
- Preliminary reference statistics and what they tell us.
Presentation 2: The preliminary reference procedure from a practitioner’s perspective
- Fred Logue, Principal of Fred Logue Solicitors, will provide an insight into two preliminary reference procedures in which he acted for environmental organisations.”