For six decades, lignite – the dirtiest and once the cheapest form of coal – has been the driving force of Greece’s economy. Today, lignite has become inefficient and costly. Despite this, the government has historically kept Greece artificially dependent on this fossil fuel by bypassing the law and putting industry needs before economic sense and the health of people and the planet.
- Major court win shows power of corporate law to fight climate change
- Huge court win as we block Polish coal-fired power station
Why is everyone so worried about coal, and is there a clean alternative? Europe has over 250 coal power stations, and is building more. Read on to find out why this is bad for the planet, and how we can stop dirty coal.
We have supported our partners Greenpeace Romania to launch a legal challenge to force authorities to consider the huge negative environmental impacts of Romania’s notorious coal polluter Rovinari.
“I believe that sustainable development and protection of the environment are the most crucial areas that need to be addressed today. Working at ClientEarth allows me to collaborate with talented people who are not only dedicated lawyers and policy makers but who are also passionate about making a significant and positive change to the environment. Together at ClientEarth we can make a difference to the world around us.”
- The Regulatory Assistance Project’s (RAP) and ClientEarth’s Concerns with UK Capacity Mechanism’s State Aid Conformity
- The Regulatory Assistance Project’s (RAP) and ClientEarth’s Concerns with UK Capacity Mechanism’s State Aid Conformity – Follow-up
- Uwagi do projektu nowelizacji ustawy o OZE z dnia 25 lutego 2019 roku
- Jaki węgiel dla Elektrowni Bełchatów? Zasoby i jakość węgla brunatnego w złożu „Bełchatów” (pole Bełchatów i pole Szczerców) oraz w złożu „Złoczew”.
- – BEIS consultation – technical amendments to the UK Capacity Market – ClientEarth response (Jan 2019)
- How can the recast Electricity Regulation set strong rules for the new ‘EU DSO entity’?
- Regional Operational Centres: A review of the Commission’s proposal and recommendations for improvement
- Modellvergleich eines Kohleausstiegs aus rechtlicher Sicht: Kurzstudie im Auftrag von ClientEarth – Anwälte der Erde
- Ostrołęka C: Enea’s and Energa’s Board Members’ Fiduciary Duties to the Companies and Shareholders
- Influencing 2021-2030 NECP’s through public participation
- Law and ambition in Poland’s energy transition
- UK Capacity Market review – ClientEarth response to BEIS call for evidence (Oct 2018)