Coal plants must pay back €400 million in unlawful subsidies from Spanish government, environmental lawyers insist
Environmental lawyers are supporting the European Commission’s investigation into coal operators in Spain to decide whether they have to pay back millions in subsidies to the Spanish government.
The number of coal plants across the world will start to drop within five years, according to a new expert report.
The Supreme Administrative Court of Bulgaria has refused Brikel coal power plant permission to increase its coal burning capacity. The court said that the plant had systematically failed to comply with environmental laws.
Plans for a huge opencast coal mine at Druridge Bay were today formally rejected by Communities Secretary Sajid Javid, on the basis that the environmental impact would be too significant.
ClientEarth and EEB are fighting to protect laws aimed to protect people’s health and the climate form dangerous levels of pollution.
“I believe that sustainable development and protection of the environment are the most crucial areas that need to be addressed today. Working at ClientEarth allows me to collaborate with talented people who are not only dedicated lawyers and policy makers but who are also passionate about making a significant and positive change to the environment. Together at ClientEarth we can make a difference to the world around us.”
- Assessment of the Polish Act on the Capacity Market
- Transposition of EU Directives into national laws
- Memo – Legality of continuing to apply ‘old’ comitology procedures to the Ecodesign Directive
- Legal briefing: The possible integration of financial and fiscal provisions in the Directive 2002/91/EC on the Energy Performance of Buildings
- Legal briefing – self-regulation measures under the Ecodesign Directive
- Public consultation on EIB’s Energy Lending Policy – comments by ClientEarth
- Ocena ustawy o rynku mocy
- Uwagi do projektu rozporządzenia Ministra Energii w sprawie szczegółowych zasad kształtowania i kalkulacji taryf oraz rozliczeń w obrocie energią elektryczną
- Memorandum on the Finnish public consultation process regarding the investor’s water permit application for NordStream 2
- A briefing by Energy Cities and ClientEarth on the public participation provisions within the Energy Union Governance Regulation
- Memo – Governance Regulation – EU EE binding target
- CoR conference – ENVE commission – 14th Meeting