Clearing forests for agriculture, mining and infrastructure is the main driver of deforestation. ClientEarth works to achieve effective laws to govern forest conversion, reduce forest loss and protect forest-dependent communities.
ClientEarth legal experts took part in working groups to help develop the Global Resources Initiative (GRI) taskforce report highlighting the complexity of global food production systems, and challenging government to create systemic and transformative change that ensures food supply while putting people and planet first.
ClientEarth’s environmental lawyers are warning national governments that only strong national laws can properly protect forests, store carbon emissions and ensure the livelihood of forest-dependent communities, in response to today’s land use report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
The EU can help tackle deforestation, environmental harm and human rights abuses by introducing mandatory due diligence – rules which require companies to identify and prevent the negative impact of their operations and supply chains.
ClientEarth has developed a legal toolkit to help decision-makers use laws to reduce forest conversion and minimise the environmental and social impacts of deforestation.
- Outil Juridique sur la Conversion des Terres Forestières
- Legal Toolkit on Forest Conversion Factsheet 1: Allocation of land – the need for clarity
- Legal Toolkit on Forest Conversion Factsheet 3: Timber from forest conversion – the need for rules
- Legal Toolkit on Forest Conversion Factsheet 2: Clearing forested land – the need for a permit
- Legal Toolkit on Forest Conversion Overview
- Legal Toolkit on Forest Conversion (Full report)
- Legal Toolkit on Forest Conversion Factsheet 5: Communities’ rights – the need for recognition
- Legal Toolkit on Forest Conversion Factsheet 4: Environmental protection – the need for consideration
- All eyes on the European Commission, as crucial EU decision on deforestation due “in a matter of weeks”
- Addressing risks of an inadequate legal framework governing forest conversion in Ghana
- Contributions de la société civile sur le cadre juridique du déboisement dans l’avant-projet de Code forestier
- The legal framework governing forest conversion in Liberia