We believe in healthy seas full of fish. Our ambitious advocacy helped create a better fisheries law for Europe. Now, we’re working to make sure it really does fight overfishing.
In a win for democracy and transparency, the EU Ombudsman has condemned the Council of the European Union for refusing to publish information on how it sets fishing catch limits. Her criticism follows our complaint against the Council after many years of unexplained fishing quotas set above the scientific advice.
- EU watchdog piles pressure on the Council over fishing quota transparency following our complaint
- EU ministers’ decision to continue overfishing could face legal challenge
In a recent report, we found that France and Spain have so far failed to use the EU Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF) in conservation efforts to end overfishing and restore the marine environment.
Our lawyers have warned that European fisheries ministers’ decision to set unsustainable fishing limits for 2020 breaches EU law and could result in legal action.
Key EU countries have repeatedly pushed for unsustainable fishing limits in the North East Atlantic while other countries have failed to stop them, our new report reveals.
The EU Ombudsman has demanded the Council of the European Union release more information on fishing quota negotiations between governments.
ClientEarth has published a briefing series explaining why it is so difficult to reliably monitor whether fishing limits are being set at sustainable levels, and how this should be improved.
The series, ‘Matching fishing limits with sustainability and the law: difficulties and recommendations’ has been produced ahead of the setting of fishing quotas in December.
- Setting the right safety net: A framework for fisheries support policies in response to COVID-19
- EU Ombudsman’s decision on the transparency of the Council’s decision-making process in setting fishing quotas
- Cómo emplear mejor el dinero de los ciudadanos europeos en la pesca a partir de 2020
- Comment mieux utiliser l’argent des citoyens européens pour une pêche durable à partir de 2021
- How to better use EU citizens’ money in fisheries beyond 2020
- Les recommandations de ClientEarth aux preneurs de décision pour respecter l’échéance RMD 2020
- Recomendaciones clave de ClientEarth a los responsables políticos sobre el cumplimiento de la fecha límite del RMS, de 2020
- Letter from ClientEarth to the EU Council regarding transparency and accountability in setting the 2020 fishing opportunities
- Joint NGO recommendations on the setting of Northeast Atlantic fishing opportunities for 2020
- ClientEarth’s key recommendations to decision-makers on meeting the 2020 MSY deadline
- Taking stock – are TACs set to achieve MSY? – Annex III
- Taking stock – are TACs set to achieve MSY?