Clean air is essential for a healthy life. More than 400,000 early deaths are caused each year by air pollution in Europe. We are all affected but some, especially children and older people, are more vulnerable than others. We are fighting for everybody’s right to breathe clean air.
The UK Government’s new Clean Air Strategy has some strong ambitions but is light on action.
ClientEarth and local residents moved one step closer to protecting the right of Brussels citizens to breathe clean air at a hearing at the EU’s top court.
ClientEarth and five local residents will take their air pollution case against the Brussels regional government to the EU’s top court.
ClientEarth law and policy advisor Tom West reacts to the UK government’s new environment legislation, which establishes a new, independent environment body and creates a statutory framework for environmental principles.
The Court of Justice of the EU has today ordered the European Commission to reverse a decision that allowed car manufacturers to exceed emission limits during on-road tests.
Over several years of legal action to improve European air quality, ClientEarth has built a body of leading clean air resources. This section, updated regularly, features links to court rulings, policy developments, and ClientEarth’s Clean Air Handbook, among other useful documents.
- The first ten years of the EU Ambient Air Quality Directive – an essential tool for protecting our health
- Public Consultation to inform the Fitness Check of the EU Ambient Air Quality Directives (2008/50/EC, 2004/107/EC)
- Helping people and business to move towards cleaner forms of transport – The potential role of fiscal policy
- Legal test for feasibility studies
- Defra Response to Environmental Information Request on proposals to improve air quality
- ClientEarth and EEB Environmental Information Request to Defra on proposals to improve air quality
- High Court ruling on ClientEarth (No2) vs SSEFRA, AQP consultation
- High Court ruling on ClientEarth (No2) vs SSEFRA, pre-election “purdah”
- High Court Order on ClientEarth (No3) vs SSEFRA, liberty to apply and air pollution plans
- Polskie kłopoty z prawem UE z powodu przekroczeń PM10
- ClientEarth Clean Air case: REA interim judgment – interlocutory judgment
- Uwagi ClientEarth Prawnicy dla Ziemi do projektu “uchwały antysmogowej” dla Mazowsza
You can help
Your support helps us use the law to protect your environment.