Clean air is essential for a healthy life. More than 400,000 early deaths are caused each year by air pollution in Europe. We are all affected but some, especially children and older people, are more vulnerable than others. We are fighting for everybody’s right to breathe clean air.
Poland’s Supreme Administrative Court has upheld today the decision to ban solid coal and wood burning in Krakow.
ClientEarth lawyers call on the UK to take access to justice seriously after a damning United Nations report outlines the UK’s failure to comply with its international legal obligations in allowing the public to bring legal cases to protect the environment.
Lawyers report Bulgaria and Poland to EU Commission for blocking access to justice to ensure clean air
ClientEarth has called on the European Commission to take action against Bulgaria and Poland for blocking people’s access to the courts to protect their right to breathe clean air.
The Advocate General of the Court of Justice of the EU has today published an opinion, which piles pressure on the Brussels regional government to protect the health of people in the city.
The European Commission has announced today that it will likely appeal an order from the Court of Justice of the European Union on diesel emissions tests.
Over several years of legal action to improve European air quality, ClientEarth has built a body of leading clean air resources. This section, updated regularly, features links to court rulings, policy developments, and ClientEarth’s Clean Air Handbook, among other useful documents.
- Judgment of the German Federal Administrative Court – Stuttgart – Case BVerwG 7 C 30.17 – February 2018
- Judgment of the German Federal Administrative Court – Dusseldorf – Case BVerwG 7 CX 26.16 27 – February 2018
- Judgment of the Bratislava court on 13 November 2018 – Case 5S/31/2017-141
- Judgment of the Czech Supreme Administrative Court on 20 December 2017 – Case 6 As 288/2016 – 146
- The first ten years of the EU Ambient Air Quality Directive – an essential tool for protecting our health
- Public Consultation to inform the Fitness Check of the EU Ambient Air Quality Directives (2008/50/EC, 2004/107/EC)
- Helping people and business to move towards cleaner forms of transport – The potential role of fiscal policy
- Legal test for feasibility studies
- Defra Response to Environmental Information Request on proposals to improve air quality
- ClientEarth and EEB Environmental Information Request to Defra on proposals to improve air quality
- High Court ruling on ClientEarth (No2) vs SSEFRA, AQP consultation
- High Court ruling on ClientEarth (No2) vs SSEFRA, pre-election “purdah”