Clean air is essential for a healthy life. More than 400,000 early deaths are caused each year by air pollution in Europe. We are all affected but some, especially children and older people, are more vulnerable than others. We are fighting for everybody’s right to breathe clean air.
The 2015 Dieselgate scandal rocked the car industry, but five years after carmakers were caught cheating vehicle emissions tests, our lawyers argue that little has changed, especially in Europe.
Many people have noticed cleaner air and clearer skies during lockdown. ClientEarth has been leading the charge to make this a lasting reality post-lockdown, not a forgotten memory.
Fossil fuel and petrochemical businesses have found a way to monetise the possibility that a global response to climate change might reduce demand for fossil fuels: their plan B is plastic.
We’ve launched a legal challenge against the German Federal Government over its continued failures to clean up dangerous air pollution across the country.
The implementation of Clean Air Zones across the country will be delayed until “after the Covid-19 outbreak response”. Given the harm to people’s health caused by air pollution, particularly to those most vulnerable, we think the delay should be kept as short as possible.
Over several years of legal action to improve European air quality, ClientEarth has built a body of leading clean air resources. This section, updated regularly, features links to court rulings, policy developments, and ClientEarth’s Clean Air Handbook, among other useful documents.
- Request for access to information on defeat devices in diesel vehicles – Italy
- Request for access to information on defeat devices in diesel vehicles – Germany
- Request for access to information on defeat devices in diesel vehicles – Spain
- Request for access to information on defeat devices in diesel vehicles – The Netherlands
- Request for access to information on defeat devices in diesel vehicles – UK
- Request for access to information on defeat devices in diesel vehicles – France
- European Commission legal analysis on the obligation to disclose to the public information on vehicle emissions in the extended documentation package
- CO2 emission performance standards for new passenger cars and light commercial vehicles: Consultation response
- Consultation: Ending the sale of new petrol, diesel and hybrid cars and vans – ClientEarth response
- Clean Air Parents’ Network London Webinar Q&A: London’s air pollution, why it matters and what can we all do about it?
- Clean Air Parents’ Network London webinar July 2020 – London Living Streets presentation