Clean air is essential for a healthy life. More than 400,000 early deaths are caused each year by air pollution in Europe. We are all affected but some, especially children and older people, are more vulnerable than others. We are fighting for everybody’s right to breathe clean air.
The European Commission has announced today that it will likely appeal an order from the Court of Justice of the European Union on diesel emissions tests.
The UK Government’s new Clean Air Strategy has some strong ambitions but is light on action.
ClientEarth and local residents moved one step closer to protecting the right of Brussels citizens to breathe clean air at a hearing at the EU’s top court.
ClientEarth and five local residents will take their air pollution case against the Brussels regional government to the EU’s top court.
ClientEarth law and policy advisor Tom West reacts to the UK government’s new environment legislation, which establishes a new, independent environment body and creates a statutory framework for environmental principles.
Over several years of legal action to improve European air quality, ClientEarth has built a body of leading clean air resources. This section, updated regularly, features links to court rulings, policy developments, and ClientEarth’s Clean Air Handbook, among other useful documents.
- Judgment of the German Federal Administrative Court – Stuttgart – Case BVerwG 7 C 30.17 – February 2018
- Judgment of the German Federal Administrative Court – Dusseldorf – Case BVerwG 7 CX 26.16 27 – February 2018
- Judgment of the Bratislava court on 13 November 2018 – Case 5S/31/2017-141
- Judgment of the Czech Supreme Administrative Court on 20 December 2017 – Case 6 As 288/2016 – 146
- The first ten years of the EU Ambient Air Quality Directive – an essential tool for protecting our health
- Public Consultation to inform the Fitness Check of the EU Ambient Air Quality Directives (2008/50/EC, 2004/107/EC)
- Helping people and business to move towards cleaner forms of transport – The potential role of fiscal policy
- Legal test for feasibility studies
- Defra Response to Environmental Information Request on proposals to improve air quality
- ClientEarth and EEB Environmental Information Request to Defra on proposals to improve air quality
- High Court ruling on ClientEarth (No2) vs SSEFRA, AQP consultation
- High Court ruling on ClientEarth (No2) vs SSEFRA, pre-election “purdah”
You can help
Your support helps us use the law to protect your environment.