Clean air is essential for a healthy life. More than 400,000 early deaths are caused each year by air pollution in Europe. We are all affected but some, especially children and older people, are more vulnerable than others. We are fighting for everybody’s right to breathe clean air.
ClientEarth is supporting residents of Mielec, a city in south-eastern Poland, who recently organised some of the largest ever environmental protests in the country.
Environmental lawyers say the UK government has made soft commitments on MPs’ ‘super-inquiry’ into illegal levels of air pollution.
Metropolitan mayors across the UK have called on the government for stronger actions to clean up the UK’s illegal levels of air pollution.
The chief executive of carmaker Audi has been arrested in Germany by prosecutors probing the diesel emissions scandal.
Car maker Volkswagen has been fined €1bn by German prosecutors for emissions cheating. ClientEarth lawyer Ugo Taddei says this means all emissions cheats are now on the hook
Over several years of legal action to improve European air quality, ClientEarth has built a body of leading clean air resources. This section, updated regularly, features links to court rulings, policy developments, and ClientEarth’s Clean Air Handbook, among other useful documents.
- Helping people and business to move towards cleaner forms of transport – The potential role of fiscal policy
- Legal test for feasibility studies
- Defra Response to Environmental Information Request on proposals to improve air quality
- ClientEarth and EEB Environmental Information Request to Defra on proposals to improve air quality
- High Court ruling on ClientEarth (No2) vs SSEFRA, AQP consultation
- High Court ruling on ClientEarth (No2) vs SSEFRA, pre-election “purdah”
- High Court Order on ClientEarth (No3) vs SSEFRA, liberty to apply and air pollution plans
- Polskie kłopoty z prawem UE z powodu przekroczeń PM10
- ClientEarth Clean Air case: REA interim judgment – interlocutory judgment
- Uwagi ClientEarth Prawnicy dla Ziemi do projektu “uchwały antysmogowej” dla Mazowsza
- Brussels air quality monitoring results 2017 – testing for NO2
- Brussels air quality monitoring 2017 – results spreadsheet
You can help
Your support helps us use the law to protect your environment.