The UK government is working on a 25-year plan for nature. This will shape the way the UK approaches the protection and restoration of wildlife. A new approach could help reverse the decline in biodiversity we are seeing today.
As part of the Wildlife and Countryside Link, we have published a set of priorities that we believe would create an effective policy framework.
We recommend that the 25-year plan:
- Sets out a new vision for a thriving natural environment, at sea and on land;
- Establishes overarching goals for government for the protection and recovery of nature;
- Builds on existing policy and legislation;
- Sets out stronger safeguards for threatened species and habitats;
- Contains clear objectives and five-year milestones with accountability to parliament;
- Sets the right institutional framework and aligns resources, ensuring environmental goals are met.
We protect wildlife by making sure the right laws and policies are in place.
The 25-year plan for nature gives us the chance to ensure our vision for a thriving natural world is realised.