In a recent report, we found that France and Spain have so far failed to use the EU Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF) in conservation efforts to end overfishing and restore the marine environment. Instead both countries have continued to give ‘harmful subsidies’ away to fund costs such as engine replacement or modernisation of vessels, contributing to overfishing.
Our lawyers have warned that European fisheries ministers’ decision to set unsustainable fishing limits for 2020 breaches EU law and could result in legal action.
Key EU countries have repeatedly pushed for unsustainable fishing limits in the North East Atlantic while other countries have failed to stop them, our new report reveals.
The EU Ombudsman has demanded the Council of the European Union release more information on fishing quota negotiations between governments.
France, Denmark and Spain are failing to enforce the EU ban on fish discards, threatening European fish stocks and the health of our ocean.
“At ClientEarth I can be proud of the impact of my work. Knowing that I will be furthering the goals of an organisation which drives bold and positive changes to the ways in which we treat our planet is a real privilege.”
- Comment mieux utiliser l’argent des citoyens européens pour une pêche durable à partir de 2021
- How to better use EU citizens’ money in fisheries beyond 2020
- NGO briefings on preventing dolphin and porpoise bycatch
- Prioridades conjuntas de las ONG sobre la revisión del régimen de control de la pesca de la Unión Europea
- Tackling entanglement! Preventing the needless death of dolphins, porpoises and whales in fishing gears
- Les recommandations de ClientEarth aux preneurs de décision pour respecter l’échéance RMD 2020
- Recomendaciones clave de ClientEarth a los responsables políticos sobre el cumplimiento de la fecha límite del RMS, de 2020
- ONG carta: ¿Los socialistas del Parlamento Europeo van en contra de los Objetivos de Desarrollo Sostenible de la ONU sobre la vida en el océano?
- Letter from ClientEarth to the EU Council regarding transparency and accountability in setting the 2020 fishing opportunities
- Joint NGO recommendations on the setting of Northeast Atlantic fishing opportunities for 2020
- ClientEarth’s key recommendations to decision-makers on meeting the 2020 MSY deadline
- Taking stock – are TACs set to achieve MSY? – Annex III