Lawyers warn fossil fuel companies should factor the potential payback of illegal subsidies into the “vast portfolio of risks” they face.
- It’s not just Apple – EU investigates fossil fuel tax breaks
- Spanish coal plants must pay back €400m in unlawful State aid, environmental lawyers insist
The UK government has recommended pensions law require providers to consider climate risk in core investment decision-making, in what would be a breakthrough for the financial system.
The chief executive of carmaker Audi has been arrested in Germany by prosecutors probing the diesel emissions scandal.
Car maker Volkswagen has been fined €1bn by German prosecutors for emissions cheating. ClientEarth lawyer Ugo Taddei says this means all emissions cheats are now on the hook
UK financial regulators are under pressure to issue much-needed guidance on climate risk reporting.
“The environment is not protected by environmental laws only. In our project, we use company and financial laws to drive companies, investors and directors towards sustainable, environmentally sound modes of governance and decision-making.”
- Sustainable Seafood Coalition (SSC) Members’ Meeting Minutes 25 Jan 2018
- Contract-based pensions and climate risk: Report and recommendations to the Financial Conduct Authority
- Letter to Lloyd’s about investment policy and coal risk
- Investor Briefing UK v Australian Shareholder Rights – Feb 2018
- Comments on Stakeholder Consultation Paper – interface of chemical, product and waste legislation
- Voluntary ‘deforestation free’ commitments
- Financial regulators and climate risk – using the Adaptation Reporting Power
- Towards a more diligent and sustainable system of investment protection
- Complaint to the European Investment Bank’s Complaint Mechanism – Noncompliance of the European Investment Bank’s Transparency Policy with EU and international law on access to information
- Complaint to the European Ombudsman on the European Investment Bank’s Transparency Policy
- Letter from European Obmudsman responding to ClientEarth’s complaint about the European Investment Bank
- Minutes from meeting between Commission and US and Canadian ambassadors about endocrine disruptors in pesticides