Clean air is essential for a healthy life. More than 400,000 early deaths are caused each year by air pollution in Europe. We are all affected but some, especially children and older people, are more vulnerable than others. We are fighting for everybody’s right to breathe clean air.
Many people have noticed cleaner air and clearer skies during lockdown. Air that’s safe to breathe should not be a novelty – it must be the new normal. ClientEarth has been leading the charge to make this a lasting reality post-lockdown, not a forgotten memory.
Fossil fuel and petrochemical businesses have found a way to monetise the possibility that a global response to climate change might reduce demand for fossil fuels: their plan B is plastic.
We’ve launched a legal challenge against the German Federal Government over its continued failures to clean up dangerous air pollution across the country.
The implementation of Clean Air Zones across the country will be delayed until “after the Covid-19 outbreak response”. Given the harm to people’s health caused by air pollution, particularly to those most vulnerable, we think the delay should be kept as short as possible.
Shortly before Christmas, the Court of Justice (CJEU) rendered judgement on a preliminary reference from the Higher Administrative Court of Bavaria.
Over several years of legal action to improve European air quality, ClientEarth has built a body of leading clean air resources. This section, updated regularly, features links to court rulings, policy developments, and ClientEarth’s Clean Air Handbook, among other useful documents.
- Environment Bill: Public Bill Committee – ClientEarth written evidence March 2020
- Healthy Air Campaign – Clean Air and the Environment Bill Committee Stage Briefing: clauses 1 to 8
- Clean Air Parents’ Network: General Election 2019 Toolkit
- Healthy Air Campaign The Environment Bill and clean air Second Reading briefing
- Healthy Air Campaign – Clean Air and the Environment Bill briefing
- Healthy Air Campaign – Clean Air and the Environment Bill position paper
- ClientEarth amicus curiae dans l’affaire Di Caprio et autres contre l’Italie, septembre 2019
- Heathrow Airport Expansion Consultation – ClientEarth written response September 2019
- ClientEarth amicus curiae in case Di Caprio and others v. Italy, September 2019
- Hearing on air pollution health risks puts Germany’s diesel debate in spotlight
- What do ClientEarth’s legal cases mean for local authority plans to deliver nitrogen dioxide compliance in England and Wales?
- Judgment of the German Federal Administrative Court – Stuttgart – Case BVerwG 7 C 30.17 – February 2018