As the major job of keeping the population fed puts more and more strain on the planet that keeps us alive, EU leaders face a challenge: making sure producing food and protecting nature are part of the same project – not opposing ones.
EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen’s State of the Union speech today revealed a worrying discrepancy when it came to the environment.
The EU has published the highly anticipated Farm to Fork Strategy and Biodiversity Strategy this week, shaping the future of food systems and nature protection in the Union.
ClientEarth’s environmental lawyers are warning national governments that only strong national laws can properly protect forests, store carbon emissions and ensure the livelihood of forest-dependent communities, in response to today’s land use report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
Under pressure from a number of member states, the European Commission has revived a push to water down rules that protect against endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) in pesticides.
“Humanity faces a global challenge that will hurt stronger in a near future if we do not change the paradigms and dynamics along the food supply chain and the farming sector by amending the relevant legal framework wherever possible and by securing its efficient enforcement”
- ClientEarth brief: The Special Committee on Agriculture – a sixty-year-old obstacle to an environmentally ambitious CAP?
- Open letter for full alignment between the reformed Common Agricultural Policy and the European Green Deal
- Public Participation at the early stage of drafting the Common Agricultural Policy National Strategic Plans
- ClientEarth’s feedback to the European Commission’s Methane Strategy Roadmap
- Meeting request on CAP alignment with EU Green Deal
- CAP conflict: is the European Commission breaching its legal duties?
- Paving the way for a more sustainable food system
- NGOs letter to the European Commission on the importance of publishing the Farm to Fork Strategy without further delays
- COVID-19 measures in agriculture: joint NGO letter to Agriculture Commissioner
- ClientEarth’s response to the Roadmap for a Farm to Fork Strategy
- EU Soil Framework Directive
- Securing the environmental ambition of the CAP